Aunt Mary’s Storybook is now serving 14 correctional facilities in Illinois: 7 county jails and 7 state prisons. Many of these facilities are visited once each month, and some even multiple times each month. With our vast expansion, the need for new and like-new children’s books is greater than ever.
Please consider leading a book drive to benefit Aunt Mary’s Storybook at Companions Journeying Together. Your civic, corporate, university, or church group will find this particularly rewarding; the books you donate will be placed directly in the hands of low-income children living across the state of Illinois. In addition to the book, the child receives an audio recording of their incarcerated parent reading from the book, as well as a short personal message.
Check out our book donation guide. We have drop-off locations in Western Springs, Chicago’s Loop, Kane County, and Will County. If you’re located near one of the facilities in which we serve, we can also arrange pick-up from your location.
Thank you to the following groups who have organized book drives for us in the past few years:
– Congregational Church of Batavia (Batavia, Illinois)
– Diocese of Joliet – Justice & Peace Ministry (Joliet, Illinois)
– Glenbrook South High School (Glenview, Illinois)
– Presbyterian Women in the Synod of Lincoln Trails
– Shorewood Glen (Shorewood, Illinois)
– St. Pius X Church (Stickney, Illinois)
– Urban Village Church (Chicago, Illinois)